Week 2 of the Spring 2018 One Room Challenge is already upon us! This is usually the point in any project where I question what I got myself into.
[This post contains affiliate links.]
Not because of the work that goes into it, but because my house is a flippin disaster – LOL. Remember who’s writing this… the girl who wrote 7 Things Tidy People Do To Keep A Clean House. Maybe #8 should be “avoid DIY house projects”. I shared a glimpse behind the scenes on Instagram, which is saved to my Instagram Highlights if you want to see the uncensored version of the process.
On the bright side, I got everything accomplished that I wanted to in the last week:
- Vanity painted and hardware installed
- Concrete countertop installed
- Faucet attached (but not yet hooked up, because time)
- New wall color selected (happens to be my new favorite white – DE Cool December)
- Mirror hung
- Vanity light moved (it was installed off center by the builder 27 years ago... WTH??)
- Toilet removed (I recruited Mr. CG for this one – yuck)
- Drywall patched and repaired
- New fixtures and décor ordered and on the way (the fun part!!)
Don’t worry about the table lamp, haha! I’m using that for light until I can get the walls painted to put the old light fixture back up until the new one arrives. It would be so wonderful if there was a window in this bathroom!
I instantly forgot about the mess of this project when I put the cabinet doors back on and installed the hardware this week because it turned out even more gorgeous than I envisioned! It’s so hard to gage the true color in photos (yet another reason I wish there was natural light in this bathroom), but it is the most beautiful deep green with gray undertones - Dunn Edwards Black Spruce.
Since I already painted these cabinets previously with the same kit I used to paint my kitchen cabinets, I tried a different method this time. I used TSP and a scotch brite pad to clean and de-gloss them, then I applied a coat of KILZ oil based primer since I wasn't able to de-gloss them as much as I would've liked.
Once the primer was dry, I used my favorite paint brush to apply 2 coats to the frame, and we used our sprayer on the door and drawer faces.
I let the paint dry for 24 hours and then I applied 2 coats of Varathane Clear Matte Polyurethane with my brush. It's the first time I've tried the matte poly, and I like it, but the sheen isn't much less than the satin I normally use.
I’m all about mixing metals, but I purchased black knobs and pulls just in case I didn’t like the brass with the black faucet – but, boy oh boy, was I ever smitten with the mix so it’s not going anywhere!
Here’s what’s on the agenda for this week:
- Install flooring
- Install toilet
- Hookup the faucet
Wish me luck and I’ll see you back here next week with more progress! Meanwhile, be sure to check out tons of other inspiration and progress from the other ORC Guest Participants!
If you missed week 1, you can see my vision and before photos of the bathroom here: Guest Bathroom Inspiration – One Room Challenge Week 1.