My youngest son would eat Taco Bell every single day if we'd let him. He always gets a chicken quesadilla and 2 tacos, which recently became 3 tacos since he hit adolescence and can pack away the calories like it ain't no thang.
To satisfy his cravings and keep a bit more control over the health factor, I decided to do ground turkey crunchwraps instead of tacos one night and it was a HUGE hit with all three of my guys. Plus, it was SUPER QUICK and EASY to make so it was a win for everyone!
Taco Bell’s crunchwraps call for sour cream and nacho cheese which I substituted for guacamole and shredded cheese.
My youngest requests it at least once a week, my oldest thinks he's leaving the nest soon and wants the recipe, and my husband is always easy to please when it comes to dinner.
After you’ve seasoned and browned the ground turkey, assembly is a bit tricky so I’ve taken the liberty of illustrating each step. :)
1. Use a tostada shell as a template to cut half of the large tortillas down to that same size.
2. Lay a large tortilla flat and top with approximately 1 cup of cooked ground turkey, then top with desired amount of cheese.
(TIP: warm the tortilla for 15-20 seconds in the microwave so it doesn't rip when folded)
3. Place a tostada shell on top of ground turkey and cheese.
4. Spread an even layer of guacamole on the tostada shell and then top with desired amount of shredded lettuce and cheese.
5. Top with soft tostada size tortilla.
6. Fold the large tortilla up in sections to enclose the sides.
7. Carefully place the folded side down in a small non-stick skillet preheated over medium-low heat and continue to cook until lightly browned (approx. 4-5 minutes).
8. Flip over and lightly brown the other side (approx. 4-5 minutes).
Easy Ground Turkey Crunchwraps
Total Time 30 minutes
- 8-12 Large Tortillas
- 8-12 Tostada Shells
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- Guacamole, fresh or store bought
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add the ground turkey and taco seasoning to a skillet, brown and crumble until cooked through. Set aside.
- Using a hard tostada shell as a guide, cut half of the large tortillas to be the same size as the tostada shell.
- Preheat a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- To assemble the crunchwraps:
- Place a large tortilla flat on a plate.
- Top with approx. 1 cup of ground turkey.
- Add desired amount of shredded cheese.
- Top with one tostada shell.
- Cover tostada shell with guacamole.
- Add desired amount of shredded lettuce.
- Layer with desired amount of shredded cheese.
- Top with tostada size soft tortilla.
- Fold the large tortilla over the top of the small tortilla to enclose.
- Carefully place the folded side down in the preheated non-stick skillet (can also use cooking spray).
- Lightly brown over medium-low heat and then flip and repeat on the other side (about 4-5 minutes each side).
For photography purposes I garnished with sour cream, lettuce and guacamole, but we normally eat these like a sandwich and just drizzle a little hot sauce on each bite.